Wednesday, August 5, 2009

And so begins my blog

I realize this blog should have been started a week prior to this however only now have I been able to get free time to actually construct it. That and I completely forgot to make it after three terrible failures. Well its obvious i'm not as 'Tech Savy' as I like to think I am. That's not a positive for this assesment.
Well, obviously. Besides the teacher, its completely fair to assume noone else will read this. Yep? Phew I'm glad.
Other subjects have been weighing on my schedule and unfortunately I have not made the time to do my art. Which I cant blame on the work load or other matter because it simply comes down to my lack of time management skills. But FINALLY I made one. Probably much to the teachers disapointment. Sorry miss.
Woohoo alright. To begin- Our subject focuses on the subject of APPROPRIATION. A term that means 'the action of taking something for ones use, which is typically done without consent of the owner'. Basically we take one image, appropriate it, and form it into NOT a completely new image but instead something either strictly or loosely based on another artists work. We are also focusing on still life images. And due to this fact we have been studying about still life. And what better still life to study then still life from the 17-18th century (which in western art was the time in which still life was at the peak of its popularity)
To be honest I'm not comfortable with appropriation. Probably because I'm not comfortable with replicating another's work even if I'm changing everything. Yes everything. I've made the decision to change everything since this art is also a reflection of how we percieve beauty. And since its something that more or less personal (i guess) I decided it should also reflect the time as Chardin's still life did. Chardin's still life is a sort of domestic scene, using very common items that he himself most likely possessed. And they are all taken from one space, in this case the kitchen. And since my room is my sanctuary (has my computer, my drawing stuff and my books) I have resolved to take things from my room only. And obviously the things I find most pleasing and beautiful will be found in there.
ANYWAY...
Today, like previous lessons, I worked on sketching my image onto my canvas. My irratatingly LARGE canvas (no hints there). To be blunt, I despise painting. Outside of digital painting that is. So the bigger the canvas, the more I'll resent my work.
After suffering through my introduction here, I'll now end the first post with the image to be appropriated!